Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Francis Fredric - Entry One

Hello, my name is Francis Fredric. I was born Faquier County, Virginia. I was born into slavery and when I became older my master sent me away to Mason County, Kentucky. I met my new master's wife and became very well aquianted with her. My master made me a house slave. This was alot better than what I was used to back at the other plantation. Late one night I decided to go to a meeting that was being held by the other slaves. I was told that the meetings are inspirational and uplifting. Lord knows I need all the uplifting I can get. So i went to this meeting and It was like nothing I had ever seen before. Everyone was so happy and It gave me a sense of hope. the songs that all of the other slaves were singing were actually messages to plan an escape. I wanted in on the plan as soon as I caught on. On the morning after, I decided to make a run for it! As soon as my master turned his head I ran as fast as I could to the swamps. my heart was racing. Once I started I couldn't stop because my master set three hounds after me. Luckily I fed them so often that I knew how to get them under control and calm down. I individually called each of their names with a clap and they slowed their pace and went in different directions. I saw this successful escape as the beginning of life as a free man. I managed to stay in hiding for about nine weeks. While in hiding i met a women who had told me that my master put out a $500 reward to whoever turned me in. I was very frightened. The women gave me food and I slept in her home for the night. When I awoke, I saw my master walking into my room with a whip in his hand. i was brought back to the plantation where I was whipped 107 times. After a few days of work I met a abolitionist and told him about my experience. I asked if he would take me to canada where I could be free and so he did and I was finally able to live the rest of my life as a free man.

No comments: