Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Francis Fredric - Entry Two

I found a small cottage up in Canada and ever since I first came here it has been the safest place i had ever been. i was able to leave my home and return peacefully without the fear of being chased by hounds or the cracking sounds of whips. one day i went into town and I got a newsletter that was talking about something called the Emancipation proclamation. It said that this document had been signed and passed on to the south. The Emancipation proclamation said that all slaves in the south were to be freed. i was so happy that i cold have cried right there at that moment. All the years of my life that i had wasted living life as nothing more than an animal had finally ended not just for me but for everyone who was a slave. President Lincoln freeing the slaves was the topic of almost everyones conversation up north where I was. There are plenty of times where I sit and wonder if things would be different in the south if I went back, but going back would be the dumbest decision of my life because I would be going back to a place that i've worked so hard to get away from. I never thought the day would come where a white man would allow millions of slaves to be free. I know that my family, where ever they may be, is celebrating right now. I hope that one day I can tell my children about my life and the day black people were no longer called slaves and became normal human beings. Later on I found a well paying job as an author and I still write novels to this day. I look at this new start as a reward for all of my pain and suffering back in Kentucky.

No comments: